AdVenue

July 22, 2012

Facebook Email Notification with Malware: Be Aware

Since everybody is is Facebook nowadays, chances are you are receiving email notification from Facebook about a friend tag you on a phone or simply a new friend request.
Here's a sample of that kind of email, as you can see it seems the usual harmless notification that someone tagged you in a photo.

 It looks the real thing right? well if you look at it closer you can find what is wrong with this picture. 

Did you see it? well if not, check the where the email came from notification@faceboook.com, it has an extra "O" on facebook. If you click a similar email like this chances are you are not taken immediately to the real Facebook website.

Instead, your browser is taken to a website hosting some malicious iFrame script (which takes advantage of the Blackhole exploit kit, and puts your computer at risk of infection by malware).

There  are no news yet on what extend this malware do to your account, but I strongly suggest that you should always get your antivirus always updated with the latest library. And if ever you did got this message and click on the link, change your facebook password immediately and use a strong combination of password like letters+number+symbols, not the usual phrase and birthdays of your love ones.

As always be cautious on what you are receiving on your emails and don't be eager to always click on any link.

Let's help each other, and spread the word.

Get the Full details here: nakedsecurity

24 comments:

  1. It's scary about this I once lost my yahoo address to a phising site and the person was able to get funds from my friends saying I need help. Good thing I was able to recover my account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a scary thing to happened. That is why we should always practice in changing our password.

      Delete
  2. For security purposes, we do need to change our passwords on a regular basis. It also helps a lot to have internet and computer protection utility installed, like Norton, which I use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right about that! but when changing passwords make sure you use those special characters, this is a more difficult to crack.

      Delete
  3. It is a good thing I keep my Facebook updates on a separate email. Tnx for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the info, though i've set my account not to send any notification to my email, so if there are emails pertaining to facebook or similar to it, I just disregard it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is very informative. Phishing sites are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info I will make adjustments on my end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. me, too. i disregard notification or immediately deleted those that i find "malicious".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very useful.... I always get a lot of notifications in my fb account... but most of the time i disregard... which i believe the act to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this informative post. Good thing I ignore most of the notifications that I received and also I change my settings to not received any notifications that are not importtant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a timely reminder for all of us who are actively using our Facebook accounts and other online accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the share.. well we cannot avoid this.. we all have just to be aware of them and ba cautious of the links we click

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of the reasons why I turned off all email notifications from Facebook. If anything like this lands in my email, I'll immediately know that it's a fishy kind of email. Thanks so much for the heads up on this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's why Im careful with this kind of stuff. so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, didn't know that. Thanks for this awesome tip. I will be more careful now

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tip! yes! initially I did not noticed the extra "o", will be more cautious 'bout fb emails from now on. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the heads-up. Usually, I just delete them. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm very careful with what I click in my email. I've been an online person since I was 14 and I've learned not to click anything the hard way. I always make sure the link is legit before clicking, otherwise it goes to trash. Especially when the I love you virus spread, I educated my mom on clicking email links. Unfortunately, she still gets scammed sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't receive this kind of an email. But my friend got hook for this. And I told her to immediately change her password. And it works well now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every time I was prompted that I've a FB notification I right away responded or click. Later I got aware that it kept on asking something which I became suspicious. Now you've this tip. I'm no longer scared and be ever ready not to reply immediately, though it looks like "friendly", but, as I know now, it surely a malware to get my personal info.

    ReplyDelete

MediaNet