AdVenue

May 26, 2013

Gadget ON: Jabra SOLEMATE Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review

I'm a fan of wireless speakers, its always nice to enjoy your favorite music and audiobooks without the hassle of wires, but sometimes it's a bit hard to find a good portable speaker with a good quality sounds and with good battery life so that you can enjoy it for a longer period of time.

20130511_092225

I found this new product of Jabra, which is the Jabra SOLEMATE, it’s a Bluetooth wireless portable speaker that is designed to work wirelessly with smartphone and tablets devices. It’s a portable speaker that you can bring anywhere you want to enjoy your music.


20130511_092304

Technical Specs of Jabra SOLEMATE
  • Bluetooth version: 3.0
  • Auto Pairing: Yes - With Auto Pairing, a device pairs automatically with Bluetooth® devices supporting this feature
  • Music Streaming: Yes -Device can stream music from a source, such as a Smartphone, Bluetooth enabled laptop, tablet, or MP3 player
  • Frequency Response: Wideband - Speakers with Wideband/HD Voice frequency response enable realistic reproduction of human voices on optimized digital lines, e.g. IP telephony and Unified Communications
  • Digital Signal Processing: Yes - Digital Signal Processing (DSP) is a technology that digitally optimizes your voice and music and suppresses echoes
  • Microphone Type: Omni Directional/noise filter. Enhances call clarity by eliminating background noise from the office.
  • Mute function: Yes - Mute gives you the option to mute/unmute the microphone directly on the device
  • Weight: 610 grams
The Packaging
The Jabra SOLEMATE packaging is simple with a hard plastic see though case that can be opened by simply pressing the button on the both other ends, the packaging base when opened revealed the accessories, such as the charging adapter, USB cable and the splash resistant bag.
20130511_092601
20130511_093142  20130511_093227 
The Splash resistant bag is not only use for carrying the SOLEMATE, this bag is also splash-resistant cover and protective carrying case. And what's nice about it you can still use the SOLEMATE while its in the bag, and the sound quality is almost the same whether it’s in the bag or not. This is essentially useful when your in the beach, forest to keep the SOLEMATE protected and use it at the same time.

20130511_094408 20130511_094031

There is also an included 3.5mm cable that is located in the base of the SOLEMATE, this can be use to other devices that does not support Bluetooth wireless connection.

The Design
I kid of liked the SOLEMATE’s design, the solid build that fit just right when holding it is nice. The treaded rubber base is great on keeping it firm where ever you put it. There are three buttons on top of SOLEMATE, these are for volume up and down (+ –) and in the middle of it is a multi key function button, that serves as Answer and End key when its used in Speaker mode, its also use to give battery status like when the battery is low, needs charging and batter full.

20130526_135331  20130511_093944

While on the side is where the other buttons connectors and notifications is located, Once powered the Bluetooth will light up to indicate that’s it ready to use. This is where the 3.5mm audio input is located where you can use the included cable. The Micro-USB port is for charging the SOLEMATE and can also be use to upgrade the firmware if there are available.

20130526_135506

The Performance
Pairing the SOLEMATE is easy, just pull the power with way up for around 5sec. and If there are no paired device the SOLEMATE have a male voice prompt saying “Go ahead and connect me, use the Bluetooth settings on your phone.”. Once connected, it will say “SOLEMATE is connected.” that’s pretty cool. 

20130526_135639

I connected an iPod Touch and HTC 8S without a problem, I also tried the wired connection and I got a better sound from it, but its not something big difference.As expected with Jabra products the SOLEMATE performance is good, it can deliver a pretty loud and nice bass, the loudness is clear enough to fill the room and enjoy the listening pleasure.

I’m an Audiobook fan and most of my audiobooks are in phones, the SOLEMATE is a perfect companion, all I need is this on my desk and power it up and start playing playing my audiobooks which is I find very clear specially when I’m listening to books that have sound effects included.

20130526_135417 

The SOLEMATE can also be use as an speaker phone, I tried this on my HTC 8S, it works and I ask hoe was my voice on the other end, and my friend says that he can hear me clear he was even asking me what kind of headset I was using.
Since this is a portable device, the batter life of SOLEMATE is around 8 hours of music playback, which is pretty decent.

The Verdict
The Jabra SOLEMATE portable Bluetooth speaker is one of my favorite wireless speaker, the design is simple and the build it solid, pairing Bluetooth devices is easy, the voice prompt is a nice feature that reminds you if the SOLEMATE is low in battery, needs charging. And with an 8 hour battery life you can enjoy bringing this accessories with you anywhere you go, not to mention the included bag is not just for carrying but also for protection. Charging is also not a problem since this uses the standard Micro-USB connector.
The lowdown, I guess would be the price, I saw this on an online store selling at $199, I have yet to find what is the local price. Will update this Blogpost as soon I got an update.




7 comments:

  1. Pretty tough on the budget.

    I noticed your take about audiobooks, do you still buy hard copy books? Or you now embrace the flexibility and low price behind ebooks and audiobooks. I'm now working on a survey about th e stuff, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom buy hard copy of the books. The audio book version is much way cheaper and its usually available after 3weeks of the hard copy sometimes earlier.

      Delete
  2. Have it connected via bluetooth really helps as having to many wires for gadgets is really difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I've been looking for a long time ago for a really good Wireless Speaker. I think this is going to be just perfect for my summer vacation. I take a look at the price and seems to be ok according to the quality that offers. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Perfect for campings and other outdoor activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite expensive but maybe worth the cost because of the many uses. I love wireless things, very handy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this one's quite bigger. im actually looking for a good speaker for traveling. my x mini gave up after 2 yrs

    ReplyDelete

MediaNet