AdVenue

November 01, 2013

Gadget ON: MY Passport Slim 1.0TB Portable Hard Drive Review

WD recently announced the availability of WD My Passport Slim with capacity from 1.0TB and 2.0TB variant. Its a portable hard drive with a metal enclosure, and 256-bit hardware-based encryption.

I won this My Passport 1.0TB during My Passport Slim Media Gathering held at WD's concept store at SM North EDSA Annex. So with that let me share my review with it.

So better read on...

My Passport 1.0TB Slim Key Features:
  • Interface: USB 3.0 and USB 2.0
  • USB 3.0 transfer rate: 5Gb/s (Max)
  • Height: 0.48 Inches / Width: 3.14 Inches / Weight: .30 Pounds 
  • Compatibility : Mac and Windows
Package Contents
The Package contents are WD My Passport 1.0TB Drive, USB 3.0 cable, manual and a soft pouch to helps protect your drive.
The USB 3.0 Powered directly from the USB port on your PC is a good thing because it only use one USB port both for power and data transfer.

Features and Software's
Features and Software Bundles
My Passport 1.0TB includes WD Drive Utilities and WD Security.


WD Drive Utilities. Can be used to check the health of the drive by using the diagnostics tools. Another useful tool is the use of Drive Erase where the drive can be erased and formatted with either Windows or Mac compatible file format. 

Design and Build
I terms of design and build the My Passport Slim is build with a metal enclosure so it terms of durability and protection it really is one tough portable drive, and so slim that it ca easy fit even in tight jeans pocket. 


In comparison with My Passport 2.0TB for Mac it looks really bulky and old, while the My Passport Slim is looks really slim and sexy with only 0.48 Inches thick...
Performance and Stability
Transfer rate using USB 3.0 is really fast, transferring files of 10GB took only a couple of minutes. But since this is also UBS 2.0 compatible you wont have any problem using it on older ports that support only USB 2.0
I tested the My Passport Slim using Disk Speed Test via USB 2.0 connection and I was able to get an average of 31.7MB/s of write speed and 27.2MB/s for the read speed. I did not finish the test because it will take a forever for a 1.0TB capacity to finish all the test.

Verdict 
If you are looking for a portable drive that have a huge storage capacity, WD MY Passport 2TB should be able to give you more than enough storage you need, not to mention with it’s solid and sturdy design, you can easily bring this along with you wherever you go, just make sure you use the WB Security just in case you might get it lost or someone borrowed it from you and they will need to ask you for your password. - See more at: http://adobotech.blogspot.com/2012/09/gadget-on-western-digital-my-passport.html#sthash.LQvXuw5E.dpuf
Verdict
The MY Passport Slim 1.0TB  Portable Hard Drive main selling point is how slim and portable it is. And since this is made by Western Digital the reliability and performance is assured. Not to mention that it comes with 3-years limited warranty.

The only downside for me is the price, the 1.0TB SRP is Php PHP 5,190 while the 2.0TB SRP is PHP 8,490, While other brands offers less than 1K for same capacity.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

MediaNet